Shift work? Emergencies? Just need a day or night off?


Childcare available on short notice. Serving Killarney Glengary and Inner City South West 403-970-2462 or mischa.simpson@gmail.com

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Dayhome info for mobile users

ABOUT OUR HOME

I am Mischa Alicea (Mimi to the kids) Simpson, a mother to three wonderful children who works as a nurse at Alberta Children's Hospital. Because of my limited work hours it allows me to stay home with my children I am available for drop in care on most days at all hours. My husband is a nurse so I only make myself available to work at the hospital on days he is not working. I realize many of us work shift or on call work which is incredibly challenging to find child care- we know, we looked for ourselves!

Prior to becoming a nurse I ran a dayhome for three years in Victoria and Calgary. Having recently moved back to Killarney with our family I thought this a great opportunity to serve the community with drop in care while meeting others. In past I have provided care from infants to tweens. My husband and I both have Health Care Provider Basic Life Support (CPR) and Police Clearance/ Vulnerable sector searches dated June 2014.

Our family is a blended family. My sons are almost 4 & 6 and stay with us half the week and the other half with their father down the road. My daughter is 15 months old and lives with my husband and myself. Oleg is also a nurse and he works at Rockyview General Hospital. Our only pet at this time is our Beta fish "Blessum Blah" (named by son, no real answer why). Neither our fish nor anyone in our family smokes. My sons’ father’s home does have a dog so if your child has extreme allergies please let me know in advance and we will see if there is anything we can do to minimize impact.

Our home is a 4 bedroom duplex located near Killarney Glengarry Community Centre and Killarney Elementary. We have a great backyard awaiting the house to be finished next door so we can have our new fence put in. We have a large playroom downstairs with appropriate toys and crafts for all ages and there are always quiet rooms to nap.

PHILOSOPHY

It is my belief that children learn through play as well as being given the opportunity to be responsible for themselves such as having their own water cup which they may get for themselves (if safe and age appropriate) or sorting socks as a matching game. Children as so much more competent than we allow them to be, which is something I am learning too.


TRANSPORTATION AND SAFETY

I do not drive and anytime parents have agreed for transportation of the children it is on foot (or stroller, or baby carrier) or via Calgary transit. If child has a non emergency injury which requires medical attention or child is too ill to participate parent or emergency contact will be called to pick up child. In emergency situation 911 will be contacted then parents when it is safe to do so. Children will have an ID photo and emergency info in the stroller first aid kit at all times for outings. A normal outing for us is 2-3 blocks away to one of the many playground nearby playground.

BOOKINGS - 403-970-2462

Every attempt will to ensure the website is up to date in showing days or times I am unavailable which really is not too often. I will post as I receive shifts from the hospital. If I have made a prior commitment to you I will not cancel.

Our home will have a maximum (including my children) of six children at one time but due to the nature of drop in care we will rarely hit this maximum. Of those 6 I will only be accepting a maximum of 2 children under two years old not including my daughter. When booking is nearly full (1 spot left or infants full) I will note on availability.



If this is a last minute booking, no problem! As long as the site availability doesn't show me as working call at any hour. If I don't answer call a couple times (my phone is famous for playing hide and seek with my daughter)

RATES:

Nobody likes to talk money, rules, etc but it is part of the deal and I find if I am not clear everyone feels awkward.

First 4 hours 10$ an hour (minimum 3 hours)
5th hour and greater 8$ an hour

Have more than one child? Talk to me, we'll figure out a price so you can still take home a paycheque.

Payments
I am sorry but I accept cash or etransfers only

Prebookings: (more than a week in advance) must be paid at time of booking

Drop-in: payment is due at pick up. It is the parents responsibility to have correct change please and thank you.

Cancellations

Prebookings: no return policy. This is not to be unfair or a cash grab. I have guaranteed myself to work for you not the hospital which means a large loss of income for the day. If due to illness 50% of fees due.

Bookings the week of: Less than 48 hours notice (illness or otherwise) 30$ per child fee is applied. Again this is because I have set my time aside for you instead of making myself available to work at the hospital but there was a less likely chance to have been called in to the hospital hence lower penalty. If you book the week of scheduled date and give more than 48 hours notice no cancellation fees apply unless it is noted that this is habitual practice (3 or more times).

Sick kids:
If you bring me a child who is clearly too ill to participate I am happy to provide care for them under the understanding you will be paying me my wages as a Nurse, 30$ an hour. Its up to you, I am willing but I suspect it would be better for all if you take take off the day and cuddle with your child.

Any fever, vomiting, mystery rash, diarrhoea, lethargy needs to be resolved for 24 hours before attending. If you are uncertain feel free to as me.

Food:
Happy to provide meals for your kiddlets. We are not organic, gluten free or vegan. We tend to have healthy choices but due to the nature of our children we have a key dozen meals we rotate through. I still haven't convinced the kids of the virtue of Chicken Massala. If you have special requirements, allergies, I will support you in bringing your own meals and snacks!

Special Medical Needs:
If your child has special needs (g-tubes, oxygen, medications etc) I am still able to provide care though I must be clear because of my the limitations of my nursing license I would be functioning as a babysitter NOT a nurse. All care would need to be demonstrated, written and signed by guardians. Additional fees are case by case depending on level of care needed limiting other children I can have in the home. Please note our home is not wheelchair accessible.

No comments:

Post a Comment